20 years ago (2002)
Eldon Tharp knew he had a problem. He had intermittent internal bleeding, but doctors couldn't find the cause. Then he became the first patient in Brainerd to swallow a tiny camera – the size of a large vitamin pill. Doctors used the camera images to diagnose Tharp's problems, then removed part of his small intestine to correct it. He's feeling fine now.
30 years ago (1992)
Newton Bell, 67, of Little Falls, has a destructive habit. Drunk driving. After 13 DUI convictions over the past 34 years, Bell was arrested after leaving a bar in August. He was again charged with DUI, plus refusing to take a DUI test, driving without a license and driving without insurance.
40 years ago (1982)
Two attempts to change the city charter were shot down last night as council members failed to reach unanimous agreement on an expanded water and light board or a public safety director. About 20 firefighters applauded councilman Frank McCarthy, who expressed his opposition to having one person head both police and fire departments.
60 years ago (1962)
(Adv.) Saturday Matinees at local theaters! At the Paramount, see this wonderful picture, “The Five Pennies,” with Danny Kaye as Red Nichols, and featuring Louis Armstrong. At the Brainerd Theatre, see the Kiddies Show, featuring “Comanche” and “Beast of Hollow Mountain,” plus 5 cartoons. Admission just 25 cents.
80 years ago (1942)
Three Brainerd boys, all former Warrior football stars, were chosen to positions on the Minn. State Teachers College all-conference teams. Fritz Bierhaus, quarterback, and Harvey Shew, guard, both from St. Cloud State, were on the first team. Gus Novotney, running back playing for Duluth, was on the second team.
100 years ago (1922)
Police Chief Erick Graff is putting on a campaign to educate the public in the correct manner to park cars as stated in the city ordinance. The rules require that all cars be parked at a 45-degree angle to the curb. There is a continued problem with cars parking parallel to the curb – thus taking up two spaces. Such cars are being tagged.
28/50: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/50: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area' published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
30/50: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: 'Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971'. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
37/50: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
38/50: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
39/50: This truck belonged to Silas Hall's Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/50: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
41/50: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
42/50: The "fill" grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
43/50: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
44/50: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it's still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
45/50: Brainerd Dispatch archives
46/50: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
47/50: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
48/50: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.
50/50: Brainerd Dispatch archives