20 years ago (2002)
The fate of a proposed motocross race track in Crow Wing Twp. is headed back to the county planning commission after the county board unanimously agreed that an Environmental Assessment Worksheet is not needed. The track would be 400-by-500 feet located on a 43-acre parcel about six miles south of Brainerd.
30 years ago (1992)
Tough budget decisions face the Brainerd State Hospital. The deficit in their salary budget is more than $2 million and it has to be addressed by next June 30. Much has been accomplished through attrition and reduction of overtime, but staff cuts may be needed. The hospital currently has 300 patients and just under 600 employees.
40 years ago (1982)
MnDOT has received a written reprimand from the Minn. Pollution Control Agency for dumping highly toxic herbicide near the city well in Baxter last year. The letter brought a response from Gary Payne, leader of a group opposed to using the herbicide, who saw it as vindication of the group's efforts to bring the seriousness to light.
60 years ago (1962)
There were some big fish winning season prizes in the King's Sporting Goods contest. Top northern weighed in at 21-4 out of Woman Lake. Best walleye of the season was a 10-8 specimen out of Mille Lacs Lake. And the biggest crappie weighed 2-1 out of Lake Edward, followed by three 2-pound entries.
80 years ago (1942)
The state Office of Price Administration says that registration for gasoline rationing cards will be held Nov. 8 and 9. They urged motorists to apply for their 1943 license plates immediately. The gas rationing law requires that the serial number of the coupon book be stamped on the auto registration card that comes with the license plates.
100 years ago (1922)
While watching a cement mixer working at the site of the new Brainerd State Bank building today, E.W. Hewitt, owner of the Herbert Coffee House, was struck by a Buick driven by a Minneapolis man. Hewitt was rendered unconscious and taken to Dr. Beise's office for medical attention.
28/50: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/50: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area' published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
30/50: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: 'Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971'. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
37/50: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
38/50: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
39/50: This truck belonged to Silas Hall's Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/50: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
41/50: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
42/50: The "fill" grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
43/50: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
44/50: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it's still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
45/50: Brainerd Dispatch archives
46/50: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
47/50: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
48/50: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.
50/50: Brainerd Dispatch archives