PEQUOT LAKES-The 2017-18 season of events hosted by the Greater Lakes Area Performing Arts has been announced.
The GLAPA season kickoff will be a free public event scheduled at 6 p.m. Sept. 2, with a 7 p.m. performance of Phil Olson's newest play, "Don't Hug Me, We're Family" in the Pequot Lakes High School Theater.
There will be drawings for prizes from local businesses and some snacks available. Season tickets can be purchased and donations are always accepted.
"Many of our actors from the previous 'Don't Hug Me' shows will be on hand to reprise their roles," Nancy Waller, spokesperson, stated in a news release. "Phil Olson is coming to Pequot Lakes from Los Angeles to direct this scripted staged reading for the public."
Waller stated this is "his last chance to do rewrites of his latest script before it is off to Samuel French for publication. The fun part is we get to tell him what works and what doesn't. We are excited about this."
The event is family friendly.
More information is available at www.glapa.info or by calling Pequot Lakes Community Education at 218-568-9200.
Other performances in the series include:
• Oct. 7: Sam Miltich and the Clearwater Hot Club.
• Nov. 10-12, 17-19: "My Fair Lady" presented by Pequot Lakes Community Theater.
• Dec. 16: Jared Sherlock, magician.
• Jan. 6, 2018: Shaffer's Lost Forty, bluegrass.
• Feb. 16-18, 23-25, 2018: "And Then There Were None" presented by Pequot Lakes Community Theater.
• April 7, 2018: Songblast Dueling Guitars.
• July 11-13, 17-19, 2018: "Bus Stop" presented by Pequot Lakes Community Theater.