(Published in the Brainerd Dispatch, December 6, 2019, 1t.
(Published in the Brainerd Dispatch, December 6, 2019, 1t.)
CITY OF BAXTER, MINNESOTA
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE TEXT OF TITLE 5, CHAPTER 3 OF THE BAXTER CITY CODE
THE CITY OF BAXTER ORDAINS:
SECTION 1. Amendments. The text of Chapter 3 of Title 5 (Dogs) of the Baxter City Code is hereby amended by deleting the stricken material and adding the underlined material as follows:
A. Power To Impound: Any police officer or other duly authorized city employee shall impound any dog found unlicensed or running at large.
B. Notice To Owner:
1. Owner Known: Such officer shall give notice of the impounding to the owner of such dog, if known.
2. Unknown Owner: In the case where the owner is unknown, the animal control officer and/or impound facility shall make attempts using technology available to determine the animal owner. If such attempts fail to identify an owner, the impound facility shall follow established procedures for boarding and final disposition of the animal.
C. Care Of Impounded Animals: The poundmaster shall house and feed in a humane manner any dog held at the pound. (Ord. 28.2, 8-2-1983)
D. Impoundment Fees:
1. Fees: An impounding fee and a per day fee, as set from time to time by the city council for care and feeding shall be charged for any dog held at the pound.
2. Payment Required: No dog shall be released until said fees are paid and all license requirements of this chapter are met.
3. Change In Fees: The sum as hereinabove set forth for the impounding fee and the daily charge for care and feeding shall be subject to change upon action taken by the city council at a duly called meeting. The setting of such rates shall, however, be subject to a requirement of thirty (30) days' posted notice at city hall prior to any such change in rates being put into effect. (Ord. 28.2, 8-2-1983; amd. 2002 Code)
E. Unclaimed Animals: If such dog is not claimed within the time specified and all fees and charges paid, the final disposition of the animal shall be determined according to established procedures of the impound facility.
SECTION 2. Effective Date. This amendment shall take effect upon its passage and publication.
Whereupon, said Ordinance is hereby declared adopted on this 3rd of December, 2019.
/s/ Todd Holman, Vice Mayor
/s/ Kelly Steele, Assistant City Administrator/Clerk