Want to make a healthy lifestyle change? Classes begin Sept. 5 - Free classes offer education, support for weight loss
Currently 1 out of 3 individuals have prediabetes—but 9 out of 10 times people don't know it. Prediabetes involves blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be diabetes. An individual with prediabetes can delay or prevent Type 2 diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes. Diet and moderate exercise resulting in a 5-7 percent weight loss (usually about 10-15 pounds) often work to bring blood sugar levels back down to a healthy range.
The National Diabetes Prevention Program is a community-based, lifestyle change program offering diabetes prevention education and support for people with prediabetes. Participants learn how to create a healthier lifestyle and prevent diabetes in a 22-session diabetes prevention program.
Groups meet with a trained instructor to help participants lose weight, eat healthier and increase physical activity. Groups meet for 16 sessions over a six-month period, and attend six monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year. Each session is one-hour long. Sessions cover:
• Session 1—Welcome and Getting Started.
• Session 2—Be a Fat and Calorie Detective.
• Session 3—Ways to Eat Less Fat and Fewer Calories.
• Session 4—Healthy Eating.
• Session 5—Move Those Muscles.
• Session 6—Being Active: A Way of Life.
• Session 7—Tip the Calorie Balance.
• Session 8—Take Charge of What's Around You.
• Session 9—Problem Solving.
• Session 10—Four Keys to Healthy Eating Out.
• Session 11—Talk Back to Negative Thoughts.
• Session 12—The Slippery Slope of Lifestyle Change.
• Session 13—Jump Start Your Activity Plan.
• Session 14—Make Social Cues Work for You.
• Session 15—You Can Manage Stress.
• Session 16—Ways to Stay Motivated.
Program meeting details
Four classes start on Wednesday, Sept. 5. Choose a time and then attend future sessions with the same group:
• 10:30-11:30 a.m.
• Noon-1 p.m.
• 3-4 p.m.
• 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Classes are all at Essentia Health-Baxter Clinic, 13060 Isle Drive, Baxter.
To register:go to www.crowwingenergized.org/events
Fee: No charge ($429 value).
For more information, contact Kara Schaefer by email at Kara.Schaefer@EssentiaHealth.org.
Become a certified lifestyle coach
Crow Wing Energized's grassroots efforts to make the healthy choice the easy choice happens through the volunteers that lead classes and trainings in our community. Interested in becoming a volunteer lifestyle change trainer?
Certified lifestyle coach training is planned in Brainerd 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 25-26 at Essentia Health-St. Joseph's Medical Center.
The training is free (representing a $750 value), but registration is required. Go to https://bit.ly/2LLzvtV for more information.