A Lifestyle Change Class - a national diabetes prevention program that offers diabetes prevention education and support for people with pre-diabetes - is being offered in Pequot Lakes.
Participants learn how to create a healthier lifestyle and prevent diabetes in a 22-session diabetes prevention program. Groups meet with a trained instructor to help participants lose weight, eat healthier and increase physical activity.
A Lifestyle Change Class will start Feb. 6, meeting from 7-8 a.m. Thursdays at Pequot Lakes City Hall. Groups meet for 16 sessions over six months, and attend six monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year. Each session is one-hour long. Sessions cover:
- Session 1: Welcome and Getting Started.
- Session 2: Be a Fat and Calorie Detective.
- Session 3: Ways to Eat Less Fat and Fewer Calories.
- Session 4: Healthy Eating.
- Session 5: Move Those Muscles.
- Session 6: Being Active: A Way of Life.
- Session 7: Tip the Calorie Balance.
- Session 8: Take Charge of What’s Around You.
- Session 9: Problem Solving.
- Session 10: Four Keys to Healthy Eating Out.
- Session 11: Talk Back to Negative Thoughts.
- Session 12: The Slippery Slope of Lifestyle Change.
- Session 13: Jump Start Your Activity Plan.
- Session 14: Make Social Cues Work for You.
- Session 15: You Can Manage Stress.
- Session 16: Ways to Stay Motivated.
Currently one out of three individuals has pre-diabetes, but nine out of 10 times people don’t know it. Pre-diabetes involves blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be considered diabetes.
An individual with pre-diabetes can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes. Diet and moderate exercise resulting in a 5%-7% weight loss (usually about 10-15 pounds) often work to bring blood sugar levels back down to a healthy range.
Through Crow Wing Energized, the Lifestyle Change Class is offered at no charge to local residents. Register online at www.crowwingenergized.org/events.