AARP to offer help with taxes
Volunteer tax-aides with the AARP will be preparing income tax forms, rent credit and property tax refund forms for low- to middle-income people, with special emphasis for those older than 60 years.
This is a free service for those eligible.
Taxpayers need to bring the following information:
• 1099-SSA (printouts are available at the Social Security office),
• Railroad retirement statements,
• 1099-B (if stock was sold, have the cost basis for the stock sold),
• Property tax statement or certificate of rent paid,
• Donations to charities, and
• 1095-A (if received from health insurance company). The Affordable Care Act requires everyone to have health insurance, but those with Medicare or Medicaid are covered.
Those who have not filed property tax refunds in the past can still file for a 2018 property tax refund. To do so, bring 2017 income tax records and the 2018 property tax statement.
To file for the 2019 property tax refund, proof of 2018 income and 2019 property tax statements, available in March, are required.
If both spouses can't be at the tax preparation site, the AARP reports it is necessary for the one present to bring an authorization form to this effect: "I (name) hereby authorize my spouse (name) to sign all documents related to our tax return." This authorization form must be witnessed by someone older than 18 and dated.
The AARP tax preparation sites are:
• The Center, 803 Kingwood St., Brainerd, beginning Feb. 1, 8:45 a.m.-noon, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, by appointment only. Make an appointment at 218-829-9345.
• Brainerd Public Library, 416 S. Fifth St., Brainerd, beginning Feb. 6, 12:30-4 p.m., Mondays and Wednesdays, by appointment or walk-in. Make an appointment at 218-829-5574.
• Central Lakes College, 501 W. College Drive, Brainerd, beginning Feb. 5, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 1-4 p.m., Thursdays, by appointment only. Make an appointment at 218-855-8052.
• Westgate Mall near old Foot Locker, 14136 Baxter Drive, Brainerd/Baxter, available 12:15-4:30 p.m., Feb. 4, Feb. 18, March 4 and April 1, for appointments and walk-ins. Call 218-829-5574 for appointments.
• Jessie F. Hallett Memorial Library, 101 First St. SE, Crosby, beginning Feb. 5, noon-4 p.m., Tuesdays and Wednesdays, by appointment only. Make an appointment at 218-546-8005.
• Crosslake Community Center, 14126 Daggett Pine Road, Crosslake, beginning Feb. 12, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, by appointment only. Make an appointment at 218-692-4271.
• Pequot Lakes Community Library, 31069 County Road 112, Pequot Lakes, beginning Feb. 7, noon-4 p.m., Thursdays, by appointment only. Make an appointment at 218-568-6181.
Those with appointments are asked to arrive 15 minutes early to complete the required intake form.
Everyone must bring a picture ID and Social Security card. Bring a routing number and account number for a checking or savings account if direct deposit is desired.