In order to comply with the Farm Service Agency’s program eligibility requirements, all producers are encouraged to visit the Crow Wing/Cass/Aitkin/Itasca County FSA office to file an accurate crop certification report by the applicable deadline.

The following acreage reporting dates are all applicable:

  • Apiculture and fall-seeded crops for 2020 -- Nov. 15.

  • Honey -- Jan. 2.

  • Apples -- Jan. 15.

  • Beans (black turtle, great northern, dark red kidney, light red kidney, white kidney, lima, pea, pink, pinto, small white/navy), forage seeding, grass seed and all other crops and perennial forage -- July 15.

The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:

  • If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.

  • If a producer acquires additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendar days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.

  • If a perennial forage crop is reported with the intended use of “cover only,” “green manure,” “left standing,” or “seed,” then the acreage must be reported by July 15.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program policyholders should note the acreage reporting date for NAP covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

The Farm Service Agency also reminds producers to review available United States Department of Agriculture crop risk protection options, including federal crop insurance and NAP coverage.

The following 2020 NAP application deadlines are:

  • Perennial fruits and vegetables (apples, blueberries, cane berries, cranberries and sage) -- Nov. 20.

  • Honey -- Dec. 1.

  • Maple sap -- Feb. 1.

  • Spring-seeded annual crops (vegetables and grain crops) -- March 15.

  • Ornamental nursery and non-ornamental nursery -- May 1.

Federal crop insurance covers crop losses from natural adversities such as drought, hail and excessive moisture. NAP covers losses from natural disasters on crops for which no permanent federal crop insurance program is available, including perennial grass forage and grazing crops, fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, floriculture, ornamental nursery, aquaculture, turf grass, ginseng, honey, syrup, bioenergy and industrial crops.

Producers can determine if crops are eligible for federal crop insurance or NAP by visiting

NAP basic coverage is available at 55% of the average market price for crop losses that exceed 50% of expected production, with higher levels of coverage up to 65% percent of their expected production at 100% of the average market price, including coverage for organics and crops marketed directly to consumers.

Federal crop insurance coverage is sold and delivered solely through private insurance agents. Agent lists are available at all USDA Service Centers or at USDA’s online agent locator at Producers can use the USDA Cost Estimator at, to predict insurance premium costs.

For questions regarding crop certification and crop loss reports, or more information on NAP, service fees, premiums and sales deadlines, call the Crow Wing/Cass/Aitkin/Itasca County FSA office at 218-829-5965 ext. 2 or visit the web at