By the time Brainerd area residents wake up Wednesday morning, Nov. 11, they could potentially see up to 6 inches of snow back on the ground.
It’s a return of winter for Brainerd, which had been free of snow since October’s record 10.3 inches melted off with unseasonably warm weather into early November.
The National Weather Service placed northern Aitkin, Crow Wing, Morrison and Todd counties in a winter weather advisory from 3 p.m. Tuesday through midnight Wednesday. Snow is expected with accumulations of 3 to 5 inches. The weather service reports people should plan on slippery road conditions, especially during the night commute Tuesday.
Southern Aitkin and Mille Lacs counties are in a winter storm warning until 4 a.m. Wednesday, with a possibility of 5-7 inches of snow, the weather service reported.
The winter storm is being ushered in by an area of low pressure expected to spread snow and a wintry mix of precipitation across much of the Northland Tuesday into the night hours, the weather service reported. Heavy snowfall of 5-8 inches is expected across much of northwest Wisconsin with 2-6 inches of snowfall from the Brainerd lakes area to the Iron Range and into the Arrowhead, moving eastward to the Interstate-35 corridor.
#MSPNumbers Statewide 4:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., 11/10/20: 176 crashes (12 with injury, 0 serious/fatal) & 156 veh spin out/off the road & 11 jackknifed semis.— State Patrol PIO (@MSPPIO) November 11, 2020
Winter storms are always unpredictable and a person never knows how much snow will fall, the National Weather Service in Duluth warned. If the conditions do become hazardous on roads, people are encouraged to:
Clear snow and ice from windows and lights;
Brake early. Leave twice the amount of room for stopping;
Don’t use cruise control in wintry conditions;
Don’t cut in front of other vehicles;
Take it slow, delay travel if feasible.
Snow totals as snow is falling Tuesday
- 8 inches East Gull Lake
- 6.5 inches Pillager
- 6.5 inches Baxter
- 6 inches Brainerd
- 6 inches near Fort Ripley
- 5 inches Camp Ripley
- 4.5 inches St. Mathias
- 3 inches Aitkin
Brainerd area detailed forecast
- Tuesday: Snow, mainly after 4 p.m., with a high near 33. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. At night, snow mainly before 11 p.m. Low around 20 with a north wind of 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Wednesday/Veterans Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. South wind of 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 32. West wind of 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 35. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph.
- Saturday: A slight chance of snow before 10 a.m., then a slight chance of rain and snow between 10 a.m. and noon, then a chance of rain after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. There is a chance of rain before 7 p.m., then a chance of rain and snow between 7 p.m. and 4 a.m., then a slight chance of snow after 4 a.m.
- Sunday: A slight chance of rain and snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 41. Breezy, with a west wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.