Ask a Trooper: Seat belt laws
Question: What are the seat belt law exemptions in Minnesota? Answer: Law enforcement is focused on educating the public on the dangers of not wearing a seat belt in a motor vehicle. Working as a state trooper, I have seen the tragic outcome as a...
Question: What are the seat belt law exemptions in Minnesota?
Answer: Law enforcement is focused on educating the public on the dangers of not wearing a seat belt in a motor vehicle.
Working as a state trooper, I have seen the tragic outcome as a result of not wearing a seatbelt. I encourage everyone to use a seatbelt if possible.
With that said, there are some exemptions (MN state statute 169.686 Sub2):
• A person driving a passenger vehicle in reverse.
• When all belts are occupied by other persons.
• A person who is in possession of a written certificate from a licensed physician verifying that because of medical unfitness or physical disability the person is unable to wear a seat belt.
• A person who is actually engaged in work that requires the person to alight from and reenter a motor vehicle at frequent intervals and who, while engaged in that work, does not drive or travel in that vehicle at a speed exceeding 25 miles per hour.
• A rural mail carrier of the United States Postal Service or a newspaper delivery person while in the performance of duties.
• A person driving or riding in a passenger vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1965.
• A person driving or riding in a pickup truck while engaged in normal farming work or activity.
In 2015, 91 unbelted motorists lost their lives on Minnesota roads.
Wearing your seat belt will help keep you from:
• Crashing into the windshield.
• Slamming into and injuring other passengers.
• Being ejected from the vehicle
Please buckle up, every seat, every time; it could end up saving your life!
A portion of state statutes were used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Sgt. Neil Dickenson, Minnesota State Patrol, 1131 Mesaba Ave., Duluth, MN, 55811; on Twitter @MSPPIO_NE; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .