BPS Fall 2021
Brainerd Public Schools Magazine - Opportunity. Innovation. Success.
• Welcome Fall 2021: Superintendent’s Letter
• New Principals: Faced with a pandemic, flexibility and preparation were instrumental in making last year a success for two new principals.
• Lacrosse at BHS: Brainerd High School has added lacrosse to its sports offerings to students. Boys and girls looking for a fast-action sport can now try out for lacrosse.
• Alumni Spotlight: Shawna (O’Brien) Reed Shawna Reed, class of 2001, has a strong commitment to her family, work and community.
• Sources of Strength: Sources of Strength is a group at Brainerd High School that aims to remind students there are others around who can help them handle some of life’s big things.
• Construction Update: In the latest wave of Brainerd Public Schools’ building projects, South Campus is undergoing a remodel while the Gichi-ziibi Center for the Arts and the Warrior Early Learning Center recently opened their doors.
• BHS Cheerleading: Carissa Ulness has been the head coach of the Brainerd High School cheerleaders for four years. She is enthusiastic about growing the program and would love to see even more students get involved.
• Adventures at a Glance
ON THE COVER:
2021 Varsity Football Sideline Team
Coach Carissa Ulness (left, standing), Tori Bartholomaus, Cadence Dominguez, Violetta Kromina, Bailey Schuler, Zach Capistrant, Abby Schuler, Brenna Padgette, Raegen Roberts, Indigo Ellstrom-Stevens, Coach Kassii Daiker, Breanna Frazer (left, top), Amy Iverslie and Elizabeth Knutson. Not pictured are Eva Harvey and Zaira Winkelman. Photo by Joey Halvorson.