DULUTH, Minn. - A 21-year-old Duluth man was arrested after a woman was shot outside a Hermantown hotel about 5 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 31.

The Hermantown Police Department said the incident was reported at the Econo Lodge Hotel. Witnesses reported seeing a man shoving a screaming woman into a SUV, and police said the wounded victim and suspect were found a short time later in Duluth.

The woman, who has not been identified, was reported to be in stable condition later Friday after undergoing surgery at St. Luke’s hospital in Duluth.

The suspect was arrested on preliminary charges of attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault and being a felon in possession of a firearm. 

According to Hermantown police:

Officers responded to the report of shots fired and a woman screaming at the hotel at 4:58 a.m. They learned from witnesses that a male wearing a red sweatshirt had been seen shoving the victim into an SUV and driving off. An officer found blood and a shell casing in the parking lot.

Hermantown police relayed the vehicle information to other agencies, and within minutes Duluth police received a report of a woman with a gunshot wound on the 100 block of Village View Drive in the Harbor Highlands area of the Central Hillside neighborhood.

Responding officers found the victim inside a vehicle matching that of the one seen at the hotel. She was able to identify her shooter by his first name.

Meanwhile, Duluth police officers spotted a man wearing a red sweatshirt and carrying a backpack in the area. He allegedly ran from officers but was detained after a brief foot pursuit. His backpack was missing but his sweatshirt was reportedly covered in blood.

St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Ben Fye and his K-9, Diesel, were called in and located the missing backpack, which was discovered to contain a handgun.

The Proctor Police Department also assisted in the investigation.

The suspect has several prior convictions in Wisconsin, including felony possession of methamphetamine and aggravated battery. He remains in the St. Louis County Jail, with formal charges expected next week.