A 23-year-old motorcyclist who led police on a chase exceeding 100 mph through Nisswa, Pequot Lakes, Jenkins and Crosslake told a Nisswa officer he fled because he was afraid to lose his driver’s license.

Tyler Lee Fox of Walker was charged Friday, Sept. 27, in Crow Wing County District Court in Brainerd with felony fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle and reckless driving, a misdemeanor. Fox, who was granted a public defender, posted bond the same day. His next court hearing is Oct. 25 in front of Judge Erik J. Askegaard.

According to the statement of probable cause filed against Fox, a Nisswa police officer was parked during the afternoon of Sept. 25 at the intersection of Hillcrest Drive and Highway 371, south of Nisswa, when he observed a red motorcycle with the driver wearing a tan coverall suit traveling north at a high rate of speed. The officer attempted to catch up to the motorcycle that was stuck in traffic several car lengths ahead. The motorcycle then weaved onto the right shoulder and accelerated at a high rate of speed passing multiple vehicles on the shoulder. The officer activated his lights and siren and initiated pursuit of the motorcycle.

The motorcycle continued north at speeds of over 100 mph. The motorcycle turned east onto Crow Wing County Road 107, north of Lower Cullen Lake. The motorcycle then turned west onto Wilderness Road and made his way back to Highway 371 and continued north.

The Nisswa officer lost sight of the motorcycle but heard over the police radio that a Pequot Lakes officer was behind the motorcycle. The Pequot officer stated the motorcycle had turned on Patriot Avenue in Pequot Lakes and was heading north, turning onto Langenbau Road -- which is a dead-end road. The motorcycle proceeded to drive through the ditch over the southbound lanes of Highway 371 and continued north on the highway. The motorcycle turned east on County Highway 16, just south on Jenkins and again traveled at a high rate of speed. Officers lost sight of the motorcycle and other officers were advised of the last known direction of travel. The motorcyclist made his way to Crosslake and the Crosslake police chief saw Fox in the area of North Kimball Lodge Road. The police chief advised the other officers pursuing the motorcyclist he had the driver at gunpoint and had placed him under arrest, the complaint stated.

Fox told the Nisswa officer he estimated he was traveling about 110 mph when he first saw the officer. Fox stated the reason he fled was because he was scared of losing his license. Fox stated he was initially coming from Walmart and was heading toward home in Walker.