ST. CLOUD, Minn. — A man who shot a Stearns County deputy during a standoff in central Minnesota has been sentenced.

Ramey James Olson, 32, of Alexandria, was convicted on Sept. 26 of use of force against an officer and burglary and on Thursday, Dec. 12, was sentenced to 15 years and nine months in prison.

According to the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office, here’s what happened on Sept. 13, 2018:

Olson stole a pickup from the lot of an Osakis business and drove recklessly through Osakis and onto Interstate 94. He exited into Sauk Centre, pulled into the John Deere dealership parking lot and struck a building. Olson then drove through multiple backyards and smashed into parked vehicles.

The sheriff’s office reported that the vehicle sped toward a residential neighborhood, smashing into a garage. Olson then ran into a home through an unlocked door.

Law enforcement officials from multiple agencies tried to clear the home.

After finding a compound bow in the home, Olson shot Stearns County Deputy Paul Orvis from the second floor of the home, according to the sheriff’s office. He shot through the deputy’s left forearm with a target arrow.

Officers shot at the suspect, striking him more than once.

Officers and negotiators from the SWAT team were able to get inside the home and began talking with Olson as he moved from the downstairs to the upstairs. He reportedly told officers he had been shot and after nearly two hours, Olson appeared from the top floor. He was shot with a stun gun, taken into custody and to the Sauk Centre Hospital, before being airlifted to the St. Cloud Hospital.

Orvis had surgery to remove the arrow shaft from his arm.

At sentencing, Olson received two concurrent 10-year prison sentences for two counts of first-degree assault for use of force against an officer, and a five-year, nine-month sentence for one count of first-degree burglary.

The sentencing by Seventh Judicial District Judge Andrew Pearson in Stearns County Court included credit for 454 days time served. Olson was also ordered to pay restitution of $27,637.