ST. PAUL — Police on Monday, Feb. 10, identified a pedestrian who died after being hit by a vehicle as a 37-year-old from St. Paul.

The 18-year-old driver told police she smoked marijuana nine hours before the collision and police arrested her. On Monday, police asked any witnesses to the incident to come forward.

Kevelyn Nicole Hopkins, 37, was seriously injured around 8:10 p.m. Friday on West Seventh Street about a mile west of Interstate 35E. She died Saturday morning at Regions Hospital.

Police said Hopkins was hit by a Chevrolet Equinox, a small sport utility vehicle, driven by Abigail Cortes, of St. Paul. Cortes was heading west on West Seventh Street, in the lane closest to the curb, said Sgt. Mike Ernster, a St. Paul police spokesman.

Preliminary information indicated Cortes was under the influence of a controlled substance, police said.

“Cortes was crying uncontrollably and hyperventilating,” according to the affidavit in support of the search warrant. The affidavit said Cortes said the pedestrian was walking in the street when she struck her. “Cortes’ eyes were bloodshot/watery. Cortes admitted to smoking marijuana 9 hours prior to the incident.”

The results of the blood test are pending. A preliminary breath test showed she had no alcohol in her system.

Cortes was booked into the Ramsey County Jail on suspicion of criminal vehicle operation and released Sunday night.

A 17-year-old female passenger in Cortes’ vehicle called 911 after the crash on Friday night. Officers found Hopkins in the grass along the westbound lane closest to West Seventh Street, roughly 150 feet west of Homer Street.

The collision caused Hopkins’ leg to be amputated and she sustained “other major bodily trauma,” the search warrant affidavit said.

Hopkins lived in the area, according to Ernster. Police initially said Hopkins was crossing the street; they said Monday they are investigating where she was when she was struck.

An investigator is asking any witnesses to contact him at 651-266-5656. Police also are canvassing the area for cameras that may have captured what happened, Ernster said.

Cortes stayed at the scene and was cooperative with the investigation, according to police.