Area students advance to state speech meet set Friday
Speech team members from four Brainerd lakes area high schools will compete in the Minnesota State High School League state speech tournament scheduled Friday-Saturday, April 12-13, at Wayzata High School.
The area Class A schools will compete Friday. Class AA will compete Saturday.
In a news release, the Pierz High School reported its speech team will send two students Friday to the state speech meet: Landon Schomer and Calvin Zapzalka. The Pierz speech team results from the Section 5A meet included Zapzalka taking second and Simon Kroll taking fourth in Discussion; Schomer placing third in Informative; Jaron Gross placing fourth in Drama; Ryan Stangl placing seventh in Prose; and Tori Mitchell placing eighth in Drama.
Section 6A students also compete Friday and include:
• Creative Expressions—Ethan Gilbertson and Jonah Johnson, both from Staples High School.
• Discussion—Mollie Pierson, Pequot Lakes High School.
• Duo Interpretation—Andrew Bates and Jaydon Friedel, Staples.
• Great Speeches—Marie (Ari) Brings, Staples, and Megan Buffington, Pequot Lakes.
• Humorous Interpretation—Caden Mrazek, Luke Bates and Sadie Thompson, all of Staples.
• Original Oratory—Samantha Mrazek, Staples.
• Serious Interpretation in Poetry—Macy Judd, Staples.
• Serious Interpretation in Prose—Zach Bauer, Pequot Lakes.
• Storytelling—Synclair Gardiner, Pequot Lakes.
Section 8A students also compete Friday:
• Creative Expression—Katelyn DeLost, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley High School.
• Informative Speaking, Jayda Dickson, WHA.
• Serious Interpretation in Drama—Willow Damar, WHA.
• Storytelling—Molly Massar, WHA.