The Pine River-Backus School Board approved a levy of $1,711,388.94 for the 2019 pay 2020 final levy at it's Dec. 16 regular meeting.
This is a 1.63% reduction in levy, or $28,400.90. Business manager Jolene Bengtson said the reason for the reduction was due to the district having fewer pupil units. In addition, the district saw a negative adjustment to prior year levies due to adjustments in pupil units, market values and under levies in prior years.
In other business, the board:
- Heard from staff and a student with the Alternative Learning Center regarding its Work Experience Program, which allows select students to spend part of their day working in an actual paid position to gain experience toward a future career.
- Approved hiring Rick Aulie as junior high boys basketball coach, Mike Shetka as robotics coach, Andrew Rudlang as robotics coach and Jacob Burkman as assistant speech coach.
- Hired Ariana Schendel as long term substitute teacher and Synclair Gardiner as paraprofessional.
- Accepted the resignation of Mary Rosenberg, ESL and Title Teacher and Cheri Lemberg, elementary teacher. Their respective principals expressed thanks for their time serving the district.
- Had the first reading of district policy 510 on school activities and 513 on student promotion, retention and program design.