Employee wellness results add up: Ideas to implement at work
Employee wellness is not just about having an annual weight loss challenge or offering flu shots. At Clow Stamping Company in Merrifield, it's about offering assistance to employees in many different areas. Because they care about their employees...
Employee wellness is not just about having an annual weight loss challenge or offering flu shots. At Clow Stamping Company in Merrifield, it's about offering assistance to employees in many different areas. Because they care about their employees, Clow Stamping has implemented several strategies to promote healthy behaviors.
We know that healthy employees have lower healthcare costs, higher productivity and fewer sick days. The results have been very tangible as their healthy employees have lower healthcare costs. Clow Stamping Company's self-insured medical insurance premiums have remained the same for the last three years.
They have been able to accomplish this through some of the following wellness initiatives:
• To support and encourage those who would like to quit smoking, information from Clearway Quit Plan and the American Cancer Society is posted in the smoking shelters. Smoking is allowed in either the smoking shelters or the employee's vehicle. Clow Stamping's medical insurance plan provides coverage for traditional smoking cessation products as well as alternative care such as hypnosis and acupuncture.
• Last summer Clow Stamping received a SHIP, Statewide Health Improvement Program grant through Crow Wing Energized to purchase a refrigerator to offer healthy snacks for purchase. Fruits, vegetables, yogurt and cheeses are examples of items purchased locally and resold to employees at cost. The results have been impressive. Employees consume an average of 10 dozen hard boiled eggs a week.
• Vending machine options were reviewed and replaced with healthier options where feasible.
• This spring, Clow Stamping sponsored Dave Ramsey's Smart Dollar program for each employee to assess and improve their financial wellness. By following the Smart Dollar budget plan, so far Clow Stamping employees have eliminated $31,775 of debt and increased savings to $12,600.
• In 2010, Clow Stamping remodeled the former day care into Founder's Fitness Center. The on-site fitness center is available exclusively for employees and their guest and is open 24/7. Membership is just $10 per month.
• Hold the Line is a weight maintenance program coordinated by Gary Walters, Kinship's Superhero. Clow employees weigh in each June. If the employee weighs the same, less or within their healthy height/weight ratio, they receive $100 cash.
• Several wellness contests are run each year. The contests are designed to increase physical activity and encourage weight loss. Participants are given pedometers to help track their activity and gift cards are awarded to the winners.
Employee wellness programs are possible due to encouragement and support from our owners, Reg Clow and Tara Moghadam. Their philosophy is that "Together - we can make a difference!"
To learn more about how your business can implement similar wellness strategies connect with Crow Wing Energized.
(Robin Loftis, Human resources generalist at Clow Stamping Company and Crow Wing Energized Workplace Wellness Goal Group member)