Filing period begins for area city, township, school board seats

This filing period applies to cities, townships and school districts, as well as special elections, in which no primary is slated to occur on Aug. 11.

Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.

The filing period to seek election for area city, township, school board and special district seats begins Tuesday, July 28, and extends through Aug. 11.

This includes municipalities without a primary election, which is the general rule in the area with the exception of Brainerd. The general election is Nov. 3. The filing fee is $2, paid to the city, township or school office clerks.

To run for office, a candidate must meet all of these requirements:

  • Be a citizen of the United States.

  • Be an eligible voter.

  • Must be 21 years or older upon assuming office.

  • Must have maintained a residence in their district for at least 30 days before the general election.

  • Pay all filing fees.

  • Complete and file an affidavit of candidacy at .

  • Complete and file campaign finance reports.

For school board, candidates must have not been convicted of an offense for which they are required to register as a predatory offender under Minnesota Statutes 243.166.
Information about other qualifications for county, municipal, school district or special district offices is available from the filing officer.

Candidates for mayor, council member and other elected city offices must file with the city clerk. Candidates for town clerk, town supervisor, town treasurer and other elected township offices must file with the town clerk. Candidates for school board must file with the school district clerk. Candidates for special districts such as hospital districts should contact the district's office for information on the filing process.


To file for the Brainerd School Board, mail the following forms to Washington Educational Services Building, Attn: Janet Horn, 804 Oak St., Brainerd, MN 56401, or email .

  • Affidavit of candidacy.

  • Copy of driver's license.

  • Address of Residence form (when the candidate has requested their address of residence be classified as private data).

  • Election Candidate Information form (a voluntary disclosure).

What To Read Next
Get Local


Must Reads