CROSSLAKE — Fifty-five residents of Whitefish at the Lakes in Crosslake were evacuated from their apartments Friday, Oct. 22, when smoke erupted from the building’s furnace.

The Crosslake Fire Department responded to the complex at 35625 Ostlund Ave. at 12:30 p.m. and evacuated residents to a common area, where they remained for an hour while firefighters investigated.

Assistant Chief Neil Luzar reported the possible cause of the smoke was dust ignited by the heat of the furnace as the building is under construction.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 1:45 p.m.

Newsletter signup for email alerts