Fort Ripley fire serves as reminder to regularly check stoves, chimneys

Firefighters battle a blaze off Highway 371 in Fort Ripley Thursday, Nov. 12. The fire started in the attic of a pole shed and caused a partial roof and ceiling collapse. Kelly Humphrey / Brainerd Dispatch

FORT RIPLEY — The cause of a pole shed fire in Fort Ripley is under investigation.

The Little Falls Fire Department responded to a report of structure fire just before 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 12, on the 1000 block of Highway 371 in Fort Ripley.

Upon arrival, crews found fire throughout the attic of the building. The fire was mainly contained to that area, with some damage inside the building due to a partial roof and ceiling collapse.

A news release from the fire department said this incident is a good reminder heading into winter to have wood burning stoves and fireplace chimneys checked on a regular basis. Chimney fires can be a common cause of structure fires this time of year, the release said. All combustible items should be kept away from space heaters as well.

Camp Ripley and Brainerd fire departments, North Memorial Ambulance and the Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Office assisted at Thursday’s scene.

What To Read Next
Get Local