Gardening class at the Brainerd library
The 2016 monthly gardening classes will begin at noon Tuesday at the Brainerd Public Library. Classes run until 1 p.m. The first class will be "Kitchen Gardening for Beginners" presented by Crow Wing Master Gardener JoAnn Weaver. Vegetables, frui...
The 2016 monthly gardening classes will begin at noon Tuesday at the Brainerd Public Library. Classes run until 1 p.m.
The first class will be "Kitchen Gardening for Beginners" presented by Crow Wing Master Gardener JoAnn Weaver. Vegetables, fruits and herbs can be combined to make a kitchen garden both beautiful and productive. This presentation will cover design options, site preparation, plant selection, and common maintenance questions.
Register at the library by calling 218-829-5574.
Free Master Gardener classes are through the University of Minnesota Extension Crow Wing County Master Gardeners will take place at the Brainerd Public Library from January through December. Monthly presentations are facilitated by certified Master Gardeners who will discuss subjects ranging from garden tools to gourds. Master Gardeners are University of Minnesota-trained volunteers whose job is to educate the public about a variety of horticulture
subjects using readily-available, up-to-date research-based information. The Master Gardener
Program educational effort is designed to enhance the public's quality of life and to promote good stewardship of the environment.
Register for the whole year of classes by calling the library.
The schedule for the year is:
• Feb. 9, Houseplants: Clean Air Machines by Jennifer Knutson.
• March 8, Lettuce and Salad Greens in Your Garden by Tracey Srock.
• April 12, Getting to Know Woodland Plants by Coralee Fox.
• May 10, Garden Seeds: Starting, Sowing and Saving by JoAnn Weaver.
• June 14, Tomatoes: Seeds to Saucepan by Weaver.
• July 12, Lilies: Aristocrats of the Garden by Knutson.
• Aug. 9, Trees: Choose Wisely and Plant Properly by Jackie Burkey.
• Sept. 13, Gifts from the Garden by Maureen Norman.
• Oct. 11, Hostas from Minis to Giants by Knutson.
• Nov. 8, Fact or Fiction: Garden Myths Meet Research-Based Science by Burkey.
• Dec.13, Garden Voices: Writers in the Garden by Weaver.