Cass County Board of Commissioners
Meets 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19
Land Department Meeting Room
218 Washburn Ave. E., Backus
1. 9 a.m. Call to Order
b. Pledge of Allegiance.
c. Approval of agenda for discussion. (Any requests to be heard not on the proposed agenda are considered for inclusion at this time.)
2. 9:05 a.m. Josh Stevenson - County Administrator
a. Consent Agenda
3. 9:10 a.m. Michele Piprude - Health Human and Veterans Services
a. Region V Comprehensive Re-Entry Program
4. 9:20 a.m. Sandra Norikane - Chief Financial Officer
a. Auditor Treasurer Dept 2018 Annual Report
5. 9:35 a.m. John Ringle - ESD Director.
a. Upper Mississippi River Watershed One Watershed One Plan
6. 9:45 a.m. Tom Burch - Sheriff's Office
a. 2018 Annual Report
7. 10 a.m. Darrick Anderson - Highway Department
a. CSAH 70 - Gull River Crossing
b. Soo Line - Federal Dam Bridge Update
c. Local Road Improvement Program funding for City of Lake Shore
d. City of Lake Shore-CSAH 77 Gull Lake Trail final phase
e. CSAH 77 Speed Study
f. 2019 Bridge Priority List
8. 10:20 a.m. Confirm Upcoming Meeting Schedule
a. Minnesota Chippewa Tribe 39th Annual Reception on Tuesday, February 26, 2019 beginning at 5 p.m., Intercontinental St. Paul Riverfront, St. Paul, MN.
b. Commissioner's Board Meeting on Tuesday, March 5, 2019, beginning at 9 a.m., Board Room, 1st Floor Crtse. Annex, Walker, MN.
c. Commissioner's Board Meeting on Tuesday, March 19, 2019, beginning at 9 a.m., Land Department Meeting Room, Backus, MN.
9. 10:25 a.m. Adjourn
Items on the Consent Agenda are reviewed in total by the County Board and may be approved through one motion.
Any item of the Consent Agenda may be removed by any Commissioner for separate consideration.
a. Approve Minutes - Regular Meeting February 5, 2019
b. Approve Auditor Warrants and HHVS Warrants
c. Approve HHVS Personnel Items
d. Approve Highway Department Personnel Items
e. Approve Sheriff's Office Personnel Items
f. Approve Licenses - Tobacco, 3.2 Beer, Liquor, Gambling, Etc.
g. Approve Capital Fund Activity
h. Approve Fund 73 Payment to Lake Shore
i. Authorize 2019 budget support for Initiative Foundation
j. Authorize 4th Quarter Payment to LASSD
k. Approve Letter of Support for Gull Lake Trail-Lake Shore Final Segment
l. Approve HHVS Memorandum of Agreement with Central MN Council on Aging
m. Approve 2019 Unorganized Fire Contract
n. Approve Town Road Apportionment Payment
o. Approve Transfer of Unorganized Road Costs
p. Approve HHVS Contract with Lake Country Associates
q. Approve HHVS Contract with Northern Pines Mental Health Center
r. Approve HHVS Contract with Lutheran Social Services of MN
s. Approve HHVS Contract with Geri Wilimek, LICSW
t. Approve Out of State Travel for Sheriff's Office Training
u. Approve 2018 Office of State Auditor Engagement Letter
v. Accept Small Project Partnership Opportunity Grant
w. Accept Donation from Lakewood Health Systems
x. Approve Marcum Reclassification
y. Receive and File Leek Reclassification Request
z. Receive and File Timber Auction Results
aa. Receive and File January 2019 Interest Report
ab. Receive and File MNDOT 10-Year Capital Highway Investment Plan
Crow Wing County Committee of the Whole
Meets 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19
Jinx Ferrari Meeting Room, 2nd Floor, Historic Courthouse, Brainerd
The agenda has been published as shown below but is subject to change to include such business as may come before the Board.
1. 9 a.m. Land Services Year-End Report - Gary Griffin
2. 9:30 a.m. Administrative Services Department Update - Debby Erickson
3. 10 a.m. Highway Department Cost Participation Policy - Tim Bray and Rob Hall
4. 10:30 a.m. Parcel Acquisition for Property North of Historic Pequot Lakes Fire Tower - Ryan Simonson, Kayli Skinner (The Nature Conservancy)
Crow Wing County Committee meeting schedule
The following list includes Crow Wing County meetings that may be attended by one or more members of the Crow Wing County Board:
Monday, Feb. 18 - Presidents' Day - County offices closed
9 a.m. Tuesday, Committee of the Whole, Historic Courthouse, Jinx Ferrari Meeting Room
9:30 a.m. Tuesday, BLAEDC Info and Discussion Series, Pequot Lakes City Hall
4 p.m. Tuesday, Fire Advisory Board, Brainerd Fire Department Training Room
9 a.m. Wednesday, Crow Wing Soil & Water Conservation District Board, Land Services Building, Meeting Room 2
5:30 p.m. Wednesday, BLAEDC Info & Discussion Series, BLAEDC Office
5 p.m. Thursday, Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment, Historic Courthouse, County Board Room
6:45 a.m. Friday, Community Leaders Breakfast Meeting, Essentia Health-St. Joseph's Medical Center
10 a.m. Friday, Mississippi Headwaters Board, Cass County Courthouse, Walker
11:30 a.m. Feb. 25, Brainerd Lakes Area Economic Development Corporation's 2019 Annual Meeting, Arrowwood Lodge, Baxter
Brainerd City Council
Meets 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19
Brainerd City Hall Council Chambers
1. Call To Order - 7:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call
3. Pledge Of Allegiance
4. Approval Of Agenda - Voice Vote
5. Consent Calendar
NOTICE TO PUBLIC - all matters listed are considered routine by the Council and will all be enacted by one (1) motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless good cause is shown prior to the time the Council votes on the motion to be ADOPTED BY ROLL CALL
A. Approval Of Minutes
A.1. Regular Meeting Held on February 4, 2019
B. Approval Of Licenses
Contractor Licenses - 6 Renewals
C. Department Activity Reports
C.1. Police Chief
C.2. Finance Director
D. Minnesota Lawful Gambling Premises Permit Application - Adopt Resolution To Allow Lawful Gambling By The VFW Post 1647 At Yesterday's Gone, 219 S 9th St., Brainerd, MN
A. Bridges Of Hope - Self Healing Communities
B. Brainerd Lakes Area Economic Development Corporation (BLAEDC)
7. Council Committee Reports
A. Personnel And Finance Committee - 7:00 P.M.
A.1. Approval Of Bills
A.2. Building Official - Request Authorization To Post The Position Internally
A.3. Approval Of 2019-2021 Teamsters (Police Supervisors) Union Contract
A.4. Discussion Of City Code Section 1010-Licensing Fees
A.5. Resolution To Close Out Bond Fund 314 And 322
B. Safety And Public Works Committee - 7:00 P.M.
B.1. Improvement 19-01 - NW 4th Street Improvements Cost Share Agreement With Crow Wing Improvement 19-01 - NW 4th Street Improvements Cost Share Agreement.pdf
B.2. Improvement 19-01 - NW 4th Street Improvements Geotechnical Exploration Proposal
B.3. Improvement 19-02 - Cuyuna Lakes State Trail Brainerd Segment - Professional Services Proposal
B.4. Improvement 19-05 - 2019 Pavement Marking Cost Share Agreement With Crow Wing County
B.5. Notice Of Hearing - Annual Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Stormwater Presentation And Public Hearing
8. Unfinished Business
A. Call For Applicants - Informational
Mayor Recommended: (all terms expire on 12/31 of said year)
Cable TV Advisory Committee - 2 terms (Expire 2021)
Charter Commission - 1 term (Expire 2021) - 1 term (Expire 2022) Transportation Advisory Committee - 1 term (Expire 2019) 1 term (Expire 2020)
Rental Dwelling Board of Appeals - 2 terms (see below) - (Expire 2020)
A. Tenant Representative (1)
B. General Public Representative (1)
Council President Recommended: (all terms expire 12/31 of said year)
Planning Commission - 2 terms (Expire 2021)
9. New Business
A. Legislative Agenda
10. Public Forum
Time allocated for citizens to bring matters not on the agenda to the attention of the Council - Time limits may be imposed
11. Staff Reports
12. Council Member Reports
13. Motion To Closed Session Pursuant To M.S. 13D.03 To Discuss Labor Negotiation Strategy
14. Adjourn To Council Retreat, Saturday, March 2, 2019 From noon to 4 p.m.
Note: Safety and Public Works Committee will meet at 7 p.m.
Personnel and Finance Committee will meet at 6:30 p.m.
Nisswa City Council
Meets 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 20
Nisswa City Hall
A. Call to Order
1. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Consent Calendar (NOTICE TO PUBLIC) - All matters listed are considered routine by the Council and will all be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless good cause is shown prior to the time the Council votes on the motion.
1. Parks & Recreation Director Report - February 2019
2. Fire Department Report - January 2019
3. Police Department Report - January 2019
4. Public Works Director Report - February 2019
5. Planning & Zoning Administrator Report - February 2019
6. Pickle Department Report - February 2019
7. Spirits of Nisswa Report - February 2019
8. Presentation of Claims - Check register #43672 - 43870 totaling $573,228.55
9. City Council Workshop Meeting Minutes from January 16, 2019
10. Regular City Council Meeting Minutes from January 16, 2019
11. LG220 Application for Exempt Permit for Our Lady of the Lakes Church
12. LG220 Application for Exempt Permit for Ducks Unlimited
13. LG220 Application for Exempt Permit for MN Narcotics Investigators
14. LG230 Application to for Off-Site Gambling for Nisswa Lions
C. OPEN FORUM
1. City Administrator/Clerk
2. City Attorney
3. City Engineer
E. NEW BUSINESS
1. Recommendation to Hire Conner Collette as Police Officer (Council Action-Motion)
2. Recommendation from Park and Recreation Advisory Commission to Approve Resolution Supporting Application for DNR Federal Recreation Trail (Council Action-Motion)
3. Memo from WSB and Crow Wing County Re: Intersection Improvement of State Highway 371 at CSAH 13 and CSAH 77 (Council Information)
4. Resolution Accepting Donations (Council Action-Motion)
5. Letter from Crow Wing Soil & Water Conservation District Re: Resolution Regarding the Administration of the Minnesota Wetland Conservation Act of 1991 (Council Information)
6. Recommendation from Public Works Committee Re: John Deere XUV Purchase (Council Action-Motion)
7. Recommendation from Public Works Committee Re: John Deere X739 Mower Purchase (Council Action-Motion)
F. OLD BUSINESS
1. Memo from Tom Pearson Re: Lou Reis Property - 26130 Birch Avenue
G. COUNCIL REPORTS
2. Council Members
H. ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPCOMING MEETING DATES
1. February 21, 2019 - Gull Lake Trail Meeting (City of Nisswa and Lake Shore) at 5 p.m. - Nisswa Community Center
2. March 5, 2019 - Planning & Zoning Commission Meeting at 6 p.m.
3. TBD - Public Works Committee Meeting at 5 p.m.
4. March 7, 2019 - Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee Meeting at 5 p.m.
5. March 14, 2019 - Gull Lake Trail Meeting at 5 p.m.
6. March 20, 2019 - Regular City Council Meeting at 7 p.m.
Baxter City Council
Meets 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19
Baxter City Hall
13190 Memorywood Drive, Baxter
The Baxter City Council will conduct a work session 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Baxter City Hall for the purpose of discussing the 2019 Improvements Project to bid as one contract, 2019 Memorywood Drive Improvements Project Plans and Specifications Review, 2019 Mill and Overlay and Full Depth Reclamation Improvements Project Plans and Specifications Review, and 2018 Chip Seal Repairs Improvement Project Plans and Specifications Review; 2018 Sanitary Sewer Smoke Study City Wide; and 2019 Jasperwood Drive and Mapleton Road Area Improvements Project - ISD 181 New Elementary School
1. Call Meeting to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Additions or Changes to the Agenda
5. Public Comments
A. Comments received from the public may be placed on a future meeting agenda for
6. Consent Agenda
The following items are considered non-controversial by staff and are recommended to be read and passed in one motion. Any council person, staff, citizen, or meeting attendee can request one or more items be pulled from the Consent Agenda and the item will be pulled and addressed immediately after the passage of the Consent Agenda; otherwise, the following items will be passed in one motion:
A. Approve City Council Work Session Minutes from February 5, 2019
B. Approve City Council Minutes from February 5, 2019
C. Approve the Payment of Bills and Finance Report (Addendum A and A-1).
D. Approve Permit for Retail Sales of Fireworks for Fleet Farm and Menards for the Period of March 1, 2019 through February 29, 2020.
E. Approve the Utility Connection Agreement with Blue Ox Properties LLC at 7915 State Highway 210
F. Accept Planning Commission Minutes of February 12, 2019
G. Approve the Internship Agreement with Sourcewell and Authorize Staff to Commence the Process to Fill the Park and Trial Maintenance Intern Position
H. Accept Utilities Commission Minute from February 6, 2019
1. Approve the Landwehr Construction Inc. Change Order No. 3 in the increased amount of $23,945.20 for the 2018 Cypress Drive Improvements Project.
2. Approve the Landwehr Construction Inc. Partial Pay Estimate No. 7 in the amount of $82,867.93 for the 2018 Cypress Drive Improvements Project.
3. Approve the BNSF Invoice No. 90180831 in the amount of $104,015.95 for work related to the new Cypress Drive Railroad Crossing per the BNSF Construction & Maintenance Agreement for the 2018 Cypress Drive Improvements Project.
4. Approve the 2019 Crow Wing County Highway Department Cost Share Agreement No. CP 18-200-89 for the 2019 City of Baxter Street Striping Project in the estimated amount of $40,706.60.
5. Approve the Bolton & Menk Proposal for Engineering Services for the 2019 PASER Street Ratings in the not to exceed amount of $5,952.00.
6. Accept the 20-Year Maintenance Plan Update (2019 - 2039) for Sanitary Sewer and Stormwater Lift Stations.
7. Approve the WSN Proposal for Environmental Services for the ISD 181 Elementary School Conditional Use Permit Assistance in the not to exceed amount of $3,300.00.
8. Approve the WSN Proposal for Environmental Services for the Midwest Machinery Conditional Use Permit Assistance in the not to exceed amount of $667.50 contingent on a CUP application being submitted to the City.
9. Approve the WSN Proposal for Engineering Services for the Water Treatment Plant Backwash Basin Sludge Drying Pad in the not to exceed amount of $7,500.00.
10. Approve the WSN Agreement for Professional Engineering Services for the Maintenance Facility Mezzanine in the not to exceed amount of $8,000.00.
11. Approve the WSN Agreement for Professional Engineering Services for Lift Station No. 11 Reconstruction in the lump sum amount of $10,080.00.
12. Approve the WSN Agreement for Professional Engineering and Surveying Services for the 2019 Jasperwood Drive and Mapleton Road Area Improvements in the not to exceed amount of $169,540.00 contingent on ISD 181 submitting an escrow for the full amount with the City of Baxter.
13. Adopt Resolution No. 2019-009 Approving Plans and Specifications and Ordering Advertisement for Bids for the 2019 Memorywood Drive Improvements Project and authorize staff to bid the project with the 2019 Mill & Overlay and Full Depth Reclamation Improvements Project.
14. Adopt Resolution No. 2019-010 Approving Plans and Specifications and Ordering Advertisement for Bids for the 2019 Mill and Overlay and Full Depth Reclamation Improvements Project
15. Approve the 2018 Chip Seal Repairs Improvement Project Plans and Specifications and authorize staff to bid the project with the 2019 Mill & Overlay and Full Depth Reclamation Improvements Project as an alternate bid.
16. Accept the 2018 Sanitary Sewer Smoke Testing Report and direct staff to repair the clean-outs and sanitary sewer manhole casting in the summer of 2019.
I. Authorize Mayor and Staff to Execute 2019 BLAEDC Contract for Economic Development Services in the Amount of $31,000
J. Approve Appointment of Mr. Mitchell Scott to the Parks and Trails Commission
7. Pulled Agenda Items
8. Other Business
A. Planning and Zoning Actions
1. Adopt Resolution 2019-011 approving a Conditional Use Permit to allow reconstruction/expansion of an existing legally non-conforming structure located on a riparian lot on Whipple Lake located at 4374 Cedar Scenic Road
2. Adopt Resolution 2019-012 approving Preliminary and Final Plat of "Eleventh Addition to Forestview on the River" to allow consolidation of three lots into three outlots to provide access to an otherwise landlocked parcel located for properties located north of Forestview Drive and east of State Highway 371
3. Adopt Resolution 2019-013 approving Planned Unit Development (PUD) Sketch Plan Comments for a commercial development named Baxter Village III / Edgewood Dental to include two commercial buildings located east of Edgewood Drive and west of State Highway 371 and Audubon Way
9. Council Comments
A. Connie Lyscio
B. Zach Tabatt
C. Todd Holman
D. Mark Cross
E. Darrel Olson
11. City Administrator's Report
12. City Attorney's Report
A. Closed Session Under Minnesota Statute 13D.05, subd. 3 (c), Purchase of Property: 032630010040009, 020244200AAA009, 020244103BAA009, 020244103BAA009, 020244103BAA009, 020244103AA0009, 032290010010009, 020244103AA0009, 010193203BC0009, 020241400A00009, 010192304ABE009, 010192205ABA009, 010184300AAC009, and 010184200ACB009.