Space heater fire burns vehicle, carport

The Pequot Lakes Fire Department was called to the scene, reported at 4:01 a.m., on the 2800 block of County Highway 4.

Contributed / Metro Newspaper Service

PEQUOT LAKES — A portable carport and the car inside were damaged Saturday, March 12, after the vehicle parked inside caught fire in Pequot Lakes.

The Pequot Lakes Fire Department was called to the scene about 4 a.m. on the 2800 block of County Highway 4.

Pequot Lakes Fire Chief Tom Nelson said the fire was the result of a space heater being placed under the vehicle to keep it warm. Temperatures dropped to 18 degrees below in the region early Saturday.

“The homeowner had a space heater underneath the car trying to keep it warm and that ignited the car, which then caught that canopy on fire,” Nelson said.

The fire also spread to a small pump house that supplied water to a cabin on the property.


No injuries were reported and the home was not damaged, Nelson said. About a dozen firefighters were on scene for approximately an hour.

Nelson said a Nisswa Police officer was on patrol in the area and reported the fire.

TIM SPEIER, staff writer, can be reached on Twitter @timmy2thyme , call 218-855-5859 or email .

Tim Speier joined the Brainerd Dispatch in October 2021, covering Public Safety.
What To Read Next
According to the sheriff’s office, the man said he was riding his Arctic Cat Firecat F7 snowmobile on the trail when he went around a corner and struck a tree head-on.
The sheriff’s office received a 911 call reporting the fatal crash at 4:55 p.m. Saturday on 72nd Street Southwest in Byron Township near Staples.
From Dec. 13-16, Aitkin, Carlton, Cass, Crow Wing, Itasca, Lincoln, Pine, and St. Louis counties experienced significant damage caused by severe snowstorms and wind.
Zach Jackson’s aircraft is based on the Piper J-3 Cub, a popular light aircraft manufactured from 1938 to 1947. Jackson chose to build his own rather than restore one