Pickup truck driver killed in I-94 crash in Otter Tail County

The crash happened at about 7:23 p.m. Thursday in the eastbound lanes of I-94 near Dalton, Minnesota.

FSA Fatal crash accident
We are part of The Trust Project.

DALTON, Minn. — A pickup truck driver died in a collision with a semi on Interstate 94 in Otter Tail County on Thursday, Feb. 24, according to the Minnesota State Patrol.

The crash happened at about 7:23 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of I-94 near Dalton, a Minnesota town about 70 miles southeast of Fargo.

A 2011 Chevrolet Silverado pickup was headed east on I-94 and stopped in a lane of traffic, the patrol said.

A 2021 Volvo semi was also traveling east and collided with the pickup, the patrol said.

It's unclear why the pickup was stopped in a lane of traffic. The road conditions at the time were dry, the patrol said.


The pickup driver, 53-year-old Waldemar Eswein of West Kelowna, British Columbia, died in the crash. He was not wearing a seat belt, the patrol said.

The driver of the semi, 49-year-old Ephrem Ayalow Wendirad, of Toronto, was not injured. He was wearing a seat belt, the patrol said.

What to read next
Severe cold weather across the southern U.S. in February 2021 sent energy prices soaring across the U.S. due to gas supply disruptions and a spike in demand. While the weather had a particularly severe effect on Texas’ power grid, customers in Minnesota ended up seeing significant increases in prices. Customers of the state's gas utilities ended up getting charged around $660 million more than they normally would in February.
Tomassoni, an independent lawmaker from Chisholm, was first elected to the Minnesota Legislature in 1992. He revealed his diagnosis with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, in 2021, and continued to serve as a senator.
The Iron Range lawmaker's legacy will include a $25 million law that will help fund research of ALS, which he had for the last year of his life.
Last month, the public safety department announced more state patrol troopers would patrol the Twin Cities following a chaotic Fourth of July weekend in Minneapolis that left several injured.