Nolan announces 2017 service academy nominations
WASHINGTON--U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan on Tuesday announced his U.S. Service Academy nominations. "America's military readiness has always depended on new generations of young people who graduate from our service academies and rise to assume positions ...
WASHINGTON-U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan on Tuesday announced his U.S. Service Academy nominations.
"America's military readiness has always depended on new generations of young people who graduate from our service academies and rise to assume positions of leadership and responsibility," Nolan said in a news release from his office. "One of my great honors and privileges as congressman is to nominate the best of the best from Minnesota's 8th District."
Nolan's nominations for 2017:
• Kevin Harris, Hermantown: Navy,
• Caroline Homer, Ely: U.S. Military Academy at West Point (Army),
• Keller Conrow, Two Harbors: Navy and West Point,
• Thomas Mayerchak, Princeton: Navy, Air Force and West Point,
• Austin Cavallin, Pine City: Air Force,
• Morgan Fuenffinger, Hibbing: Merchant Marines,
• Paul Bastianelli, Two Harbors: Air Force,
• Josh Heiman, Ely: West Point.
U.S. Service Academy graduates receive a first-rate undergraduate education, equivalent to that provided by the nation's best universities, and spend a minimum of five years serving their country on active duty as a military officer, the release said. The full, four-year scholarship is valued at more than $350,000, which includes tuition, room and board, medical and dental care and a monthly salary.
The nomination process begins on April 1 for high school juniors who will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated. The deadline for submitting a 2018 nomination packet to Nolan's office is Nov. 1. Visit nolan.house.gov/services/service-academy-nominations if interested.