The Minnesota Department of Transportation encourages motorists to plan ahead before traveling Memorial Day weekend and use extra care while driving through work zones.
MnDOT will suspend work on most projects during the holiday, but motorists may encounter bypasses, lane closures and detours. Motorists should be prepared for slower moving traffic, consider using alternate routes and check www.511mn.org to get information about road construction and traffic impacts.
Highway projects that may affect weekend travel May 24-27 include:
• I-35W Downtown to Crosstown-Northbound and southbound lane closures between I-94 and 46th Street, ramp closures.
• I-35W MnPASS North-Northbound lane closure between Roseville and Lino Lakes, southbound lanes closure between Mounds View and Arden Hills, nighttime work.
• I-35 split in Forest Lake-Lane closures, single lane traffic.
• I-35 Rush City-Northbound and southbound single lane traffic near Harris.
• I-35E Mendota Heights-Roadway reduced to one lane, alternating lane closures, ramp closures, nighttime work.
• I-494 Inver Grove Heights-Westbound lane and ramp closures.
• I-94 Lake Latoka near Alexandria-Single lane traffic on I-94 in both directions, Lake Latoka Rest Area closed.
• Highways 55, 59, 79 Elbow Lake-Lane closures, flaggers.
• Highway 119 Appleton-Highway 119 closed between Highways 12 and 59, detour and alternating lane closures.
• Highway 4 Grove City-Flagging/pilot car between Grove City and Paynesville.
• Highway 23 Marshall-Road reduced to one lane.
• Highway 40 Milan-Bridge closed over Lac qui Parle lake, detour.
• Highway 27 Little Falls-Highway 27 closed, detour through September.
• Highway 28/29 Starbuck to Glenwood-Road closed, detour.
• Highway 65/Highway 107 near Braham-Single lane traffic, lane shifts and reduced speeds.
• Highway 169 Garrison-Roadway reduced to one lane.
• Highway 15 St. Augusta to Kimball-Highway 15 closed, detour through July.
• Highway 55 Annandale to Maple Lake-Highway 55 closed, detour.
• I-35 Snake River bridge replacements-Highway 70 traffic detoured to Highway 7 through mid-July.
• I-35 in Downtown Duluth-Single lane traffic through June.
• Highway 2 East Grand Forks-Traffic reduced to one lane in both directions.
• Highway 2 Erskine-Lane closures, detour.
• Highway 1 Red Lake-Lane closures and short term detours.
• Highway 71 Koochiching County-Road closed, detour.
• Highways 175, 220 and 317 in northwest Minnesota-Roads closed due to flooding.
• I-90 Freeborn County-Single lane traffic in each direction, reduced speeds.
• Highway 60 Zumbro Falls to Wabasha-Highway 60 closed, detour through June 28.
• I-90 Fairmont to Blue Earth-Single lane traffic, reduced speeds and overpass bridge.
• Highway 14 New Ulm-Highway 14/Highway 15 closed, detour.
• Highway 60 St. James-Single lane traffic in each direction, ramp closures.
• Highway 14 Tracy-Highway 14 closed, detour.
MnDOT urges motorists to be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
For a complete list of projects by highway or region, visit www.mndot.gov/roadwork/current.html. Motorists can also stay informed about projects and other transportation topics by connecting to MnDOT via social media and signing up for email updates for major projects at www.mndot.gov/emailupdates.