UPDATE: Local schools, others closed Tuesday-Wednesday due to frigid temps
Brainerd, Pequot Lakes, Pillager and Little Falls along with many other area districts and services will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday, Jan. 29-30, because of the frigid subzero temperatures in the forecast.
School districts made the call of closing school and all activities early Monday afternoon. Several schools in the Twin Cities have preemptively canceled classes for Tuesday and Wednesday because of the expected cold temperatures, but Minnesota Public Radio reported Gov. Tim Walz won't order a statewide closure of Minnesota schools but will instead defer to local school districts "because they know best the conditions in their area and how to keep their students safe."
According to the National Weather Service in Duluth, Brainerd residents will see a high of 20 below zero Tuesday, with wind chill values between 40-50 below zero. It will be blustery with a northwest wind of 15-20 mph, with gusts as high as 30. Wednesday's high may be near 15 below, with a northwest wind of 10-15 mph. Wednesday night's low is 38 below.
The Salvation Army will be a warming station for those in need on Tuesday night from 5 pm thru Wednesday at 7 am. Cots and food will be available. Should the extreme cold last thru Wednesday they will be open from 5 pm to 7 am on Thursday morning. For questions, call 829-1120.
Businesses, churches, other closings:
- Slumberland will be closed Wednesday and will reopen Thursday at 10 a.m.
- Prairie Bay will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- USPS (Postal Service) Postal delivery operations suspended in Minnesota, western Wisconsin, Iowa and western Illinois on Wednesday. Retail operations at local offices will be available, but may be limited. No collection mail pickup from business or collection boxes. No residential or commercial package pickup services.
- Pine River American Legion Cribbage for Tuesday night has been canceled.
- TCBX will be closed Wednesday and resume normal operations on Thursday.
- Westgate Mall closing Tuesday at 5 p.m. and will reopen on Thursday at 10 a.m.
- Brainerd Rural MN CEP office will close at 3 p.m. Tuesday and reopen at 8 a.m. Thursday, pending weather.
- Design Consign will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- The Crossing Arts Alliance will be closed Tuesday, January 29 and Wednesday, January 30. TCAA will reopen Thursday, January 31 with regular business hours.
- Clow Stamping will close at 2 p.m. Tuesday and open back up at 8 a.m. Thursday.
- Lakes Catholic Evangelization and Faith Formation Wednesday night is canceled.
- First Baptist Church, Baxter, all services and youth activities for Wednesday are canceled.
- The Center is canceling donuts on Thursday, January 31 due to the extreme cold weather forecast. Please stop and buy donuts on Thursday, February 7.
- First Lutheran Church of Brainerd will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Northland Arboretum Visitor Center will be closed Tuesday through Noon on Thursday, January 31.
- Mille Lacs County D.A.C. closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Bridges of Hope offices, 2011 S. Sixth St., Brainerd, will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Common Goods thrift stores, run by Bridges of Hope, will have limited hours. Call the store location before going.
- Pequot Lakes City Hall will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Lord of Life Lutheran Church, Brainerd all activities for Tuesday and Wednesday canceled.
Schools closing Tuesday and Wednesday, Jan. 29 and 30:
- Aitkin Schools - ISD 1: Palisade Elementary closed. No after-school events.
- Bemidji State University and Northwest Technical College will close both days.
- Brainerd School District - ISD 181
- Central Lakes College - Closed, Martin Luther King Jr. Day event and the Verse Like Water event are both canceled.
- Crosby-Ironton Schools - ISD 182: All after-school activities canceled both days.
- Hill City Schools - ISD 2
- Isle Public School - ISD 473
- Laporte School - ISD 306
- Leech Lake Tribal College: Evening Activities Canceled.
- Little Falls Schools - ISD 482
- Long Prairie-Grey Eagle Public Schools - ISD 2753: Closed Tuesday
- McGregor Schools - ISD 4
- Menahga Schools - ISD 821
- Milaca Public Schools - IDS 912
- Mora Schools - ISD 332
- Nevis School District - ISD 308: Online Learning - No SAC or Activities.
- Northland Community Schools (Remer-Longville) - ISD 118
- Onamia Public Schools - ISD 480
- Pequot Lakes Schools - ISD 186
- Pillager Schools - ISD 116
- Pierz Schools - ISD 484
- Pine River-Backus Schools - ISD 2174
- Sebeka Schools - ISD 820
- Staples-Motley Schools - ISD 2170
- Swanville Public Schools - ISD 486
- Upsala School - ISD 487
- Wadena-Deer Creek Schools - ISD 2155
- Walker-Hackensack-Akeley Schools - ISD 113
This list will be updated as we are made aware of closings and cancellations. Check back for updates.