ISD 181 Viewpoint: Celebrate School Board Recognition Week with us
The Minnesota School Boards Association has set Feb. 20-24, 2017, as School Board Recognition Week! This important week gives us an opportunity to build awareness and understanding of the vital function our elected Board of Education plays in our...
The Minnesota School Boards Association has set Feb. 20-24, 2017, as School Board Recognition Week! This important week gives us an opportunity to build awareness and understanding of the vital function our elected Board of Education plays in our communities. Brainerd Public Schools District is joining all public school districts across Minnesota to celebrate School Board Recognition Week and to honor local board members for their commitment to students and high quality teaching and learning.
"It takes effective schools to build strong communities. These men and women devote countless hours to ensure that Brainerd Public Schools are helping every child reach his or her full potential," stated Superintendent Laine Larson. "The ISD 181 Board of Education make the best decisions, every month, while spending many hours studying education issues and regulations in order to provide the kind of accountability our citizens deserve and expect."
Larson said the key work of school boards is to raise student achievement by:
• Creating a vision for what the community wants the school district to be and for making student
achievement the top priority;
• Establishing standards for what students will be expected to learn and be able to do;
• Ensuring progress is measured to be sure the district's goals are achieved and students are learning at
• Being accountable for their decisions and actions by continually tracking and reporting results;
• Creating a safe, orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach;
• Forming partnerships with others in the community to solve common problems; and
• Focusing attention on the need for continuous improvement by questioning, refining and revising issues related to student achievement.
"School board members give local citizens a voice in educational decision-making. Even though we make a special effort to show our appreciation in February, their contribution is a year-round commitment!"
The Board members serving Independent School District 181 include:
• Reed Campbell, a Brainerd graduate and has served on the school board for 13 years;
• Tom Haglin, a Brainerd graduate and has served on the school board for seven years;
• Sue Kern, a Brainerd graduate and has served on the school board for four years;
• Ruth Nelson has served on the school board for 11 years;
• Bob Nystrom, a Brainerd graduate and has served on the school board for 11 years; and
• Chris Robinson has served on the school board for seven years.
Please join us by saying thank you to our school board members during Minnesota's School Board Recognition Week, February 20-24, 2017. Together and in partnership with the community, Brainerd Public Schools ensure that all students achieve their individual potential by providing the highest-quality programs and resources to prepare learners for an ever-changing global society. For more information about Brainerd Public Schools, please visit www.isd181.org