The Republicans now control both houses of Congress. What will that mean? I will make some predictions. These things will be their priorities and thus increase: o Profits for corporations and financial institutions. o Fossil fuel energy production ..
The Republicans now control both houses of Congress. What will that mean?
I will make some predictions.
These things will be their priorities and thus increase:
• Profits for corporations and financial institutions.
• Fossil fuel energy production ... the Keystone Pipeline and expanded fracking.
• Privatizing public functions and and assets for private profit streams.
• Tax breaks for the rich and powerful.
• The illusion that conservative white males are the natural ruling class and should make decisions for the masses.
• Wall Street's financial excesses ... now clearly too big to fail and too big to jail.
• Cutting sustenance for our retired elders ... Social Security and Medicare.
• Profits of health insurance and pharmaceutical companies.
• Money in politics.
• Political manipulation of the election process, consolidating political power
• Profits of the military-industrial-security complex with continuing wars resulting in more threats.
• Secrecy and surveillance.
These things will be of lower priority and will flounder in "benign neglect":
• Students and their loans.
• Veterans with their health issues including PTSD, resulting in high suicide rates.
• Public education.
• Social programs.
• Voting rights.
• Imprisonment rates.
• Health care costs.
• Value of workers and decent wages.
• Concerns of ordinary citizens and their voice in their lives and futures.
• Gun control.
• Environmental change.
• Oversight, regulation and accountability, especially with environmental issues.
• Principles of democracy.
• Income inequality.
The wall around the gated community of the rich and powerful will be finished, with labor provided by those who voted them into office, who will find themselves excluded when the job is done, having received only the minimum wage for their work. They will be seen as collaborators by their fellow citizens, although some will be allowed into the gates each day as day laborers and some to work in the big house.
Let's see what happens.