High School Football: Kapsner, Eklund to play in Minnesota Showcase
Reese Kapsner of Pierz and Andrew Eklund of Aitkin will play for the North team in the third Minnesota Football Showcase at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis at 1 p.m. Dec. 15.
Kapsner was a running back for the Mid-State Subdistrict 1 champion Pioneers who advanced to the semifinals of the Class 3A state tournament. Eklund was a defensive end for the Gobblers.
The game, sponsored by the Minnesota Football Coaches Association, celebrates football in Minnesota and will feature outstanding senior players from around the state.
The Showcase will be the 57th game overall in Minnesota All-Star football history and will feature the North All-Stars vs. the South All-Stars. It will be televised by KMSP FOX 9. Kevin Feeney of Moorhead (North) and Chad Clendening of Apple Valley (South) will be the game's head coaches.
In addition to the game, the event will feature:
• Youth football clinic from 10-11 a.m. Registration for each clinic is limited to the first 500 participants and will include free event admission. To register please visit www.vikings.com/showcase
• Performances from Minnesota high school drum lines, cheer teams and dance teams
• Minnesota Vikings Skol Line performance
• Youth Madden Tournament beginning at 10 a.m. featuring 32 participants
• Madden 19 Vikings Club Championship from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Hyundai Club
• Autograph sessions with Vikings legends (11 a.m.-noon), Vikings Cheerleaders (11 a.m.-noon and current Viking players (noon-1 p.m.)
All-Star Week begins Dec. 12 when 92 players and 12 coaches report to the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis-Park Place for the start of training camp.
More than 4,500 players and 500 coaches have participated in this game. More than 90 players from the game have gone on to play or coach in the NFL including current Minnesota Vikings Adam Thielen (2008), FB C.J. Ham (2011) and Brandon Zylstra (2011).